Here's how her story went!
On Tuesday, January 31st, we had a routine 39 week OB appointed scheduled. Thankfully, I had the feeling things were near, so we packed up the car before we left that morning, just incase. I was scheduled to have an ultrasound to check fluid levels, and a non-stress test, and then to see my doctor- Dr. Box. We brought Nolan along because it was such an early appointment- plus, he hadn't missed a single one- why start now!?! :)
I had been feeling crampy off and on but nothing too alarming. We went first for the ultrasound but she was so big, it was pretty impossible to see what anything was! Dr. Box came in pretty quickly after the ultrasound and said- well kiddo- you're going to have a baby today! My fluid levels were lower than they wanted to see, and therefore, baby had to come out! I think we both felt excited but anxious at the same time! Here goes nothing!
I asked that I be checked because I really did not want to be induced if possible- maybe if I was far enough along, she could just break my water (like they did with Nolan) and the rest would occur naturally. Dr. Box said, well, yes, I can, but you'll have to be pretty far along for me to be able to do that. Much to everyone's surprise- I was 6 cm and ready to have a baby! :) The 3 1/2 of us went straight over to the hospital to be admitted. They were taking their precious time checking us in and the nurse was freaking out a bit- I mean- 6 cm, that's only 4 away from a baby! :) I remember that we were quickly texting and calling and hoping someone could come get our Nolan soon!
They took us back to our room and Nolan made himself comfortable with cartoons and all! :) We had the most amazing nurses who were so welcoming and helpful that day! I started to get a big nervous and just really needed Nolan to be taken care of, but at the same time, I needed to get focused on myself and what was about to occur! Thankfully, Shawn Miller, a dear friend, came and kept him busy in the lobby until Gigi and Pappy could get there. He stayed and waited the whole time! :)
After all the fun paperwork and basic stuff, we got all of our labor stuff out and started bouncing on the ball and walking around the room. The doctor came in and broke my water and said- okay- we'll see what happens- if you don't progress pretty quickly, we'll have to start some Pitocin (which is what I really wanted to avoid!) For the next two hours, I was crampy- especially in my lower back- but still nothing that I had to breathe through. Jon is just such a blessing during this time! It's like he was made for it! He was just keeping me calm and rubbing my back and just- being there- just what I needed! My doctor came back 2 hours later to check and I was an 8- making progress! Within the next hour, the pain really started to increase. I was handling it, but I was really nervous about pushing without an epidural. I was afraid because I knew it was a different kind of pain. Having this in the back of my head and getting tired, I decided to call for the epidural. The nurse said sure- but it will be at least 30 min because we have to get more fluids in you. WHAT!?!? 30 MIN!?! This was not the case with Nolan, so I had not expected this at all, and when you make the decision you want the drugs, you want them now!!! She had an aroma therapy nurse come in and do some aroma therapy which surely did help and got me through those 30 min!
The anesthesiologist gave me Fentanol (spelling?) first- without telling me- and I remember feeling super woozy and short of breath out of no where. He then decided to say- oh, I just gave you this extra drug (without asking!) and that's a normal side effect. Urg! So- I had to get some O2, but felt better pretty quickly. I will say, it did take the edge off- I just would have liked some warning! The actual epidural went smooth- Jon was right there with me! The nurse decided to check me once more and said I was still at an 8. She also added that now that I was no longer moving around, it may slow the labor down and they might have to end up starting some Pitocin. They turned me on my side to prop pillows up around me and I was super uncomfortable- note- it has only been about 5 minutes since the epidural has been in. I kept saying- this thing isn't working! It's not working! And then frantically I said- I feel like I've got to push! The nurse kind of laughed and said- well, I mean, I can check you again. So, she rolled me over and said- "O my gosh, call the doctor. That's what they call a Texas Roll'Em!" Ha! Jon said he could see Ainsley's head!
The doctor ran over and before she could get her gloves on, I was begging for her to let me push. The coolest part was that because I had only had less than 10 minutes worth of meds, I could still move and feel my legs and could even feel the pushing. I had so much more control this time! I pushed 3 times and then at 5:07 pm heard- here's your DAUGHTER! It was different to hear! But we loved it! And Ainsley Marie was in my arms within a matter of seconds!! We were overjoyed again!! There is nothing sweeter and more precious than that experience together! I truly LOVED this birth experience yet again! And the best part is- we received the sweetest Ainsley girl from all of it!

1 comment:
That is a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing. You are an amazing Mama and we are so happy for your new little gal :)
Post a Comment